Camserney Mill House

This is the house built for the family of the miller who also farmed the ground.

The Forbes and Menzies Family who lived here in early 1900’s

 The Forbes and Menzies Family who lived here in early 1900’s

Meal Mill

The first of the mills built by the Menzies alongside the Camserney Burn.

This has been turned into a private house

​Mill Pond

Across the road from the mill is the pond that supplied the water reservoir for the mill.

This has been turned into a private garden.


The pond and the Camserney mills were fed by the lade taking water from and returning it to the Camserney Burn

Smiddy Cottage

This was acquired and renovated by Bill and Anne Dewar in the 1950’s and 1960’s.


There is an area of Camserney called Milton. The houses here are believed to have been constructed for the mill workers.

The pictures show the area at present

The Saw Mill

This was another of the mills set up by the Menzies’ using water from the Camserney burn by way of the lade. Later the sawmill was the local post office. It has now been included in the house.

The pictures show the mill now and also some of the men that worked there in the past.

Camserney Well

Above the sawmill is the old well that was used by the villagers for fresh water. As can be seen by the pictures this has become overgrown.

Fish Ponds

Just beside the well and using the lade water fish ponds were established. As can be seen from the photos they have also become overgrown.

Sawmill Pond

A dam was formed up from the well to give extra water for the sawmill. The overgrown wall can be seen here. A sluice in the middle controlled the water. This pond is now the garden of the old flax mill.

Flax Mill

As can be seen this has also been converted into a house.

Crachan Cottages

These houses formed the north part of the village square. The left hand one was the farmhouse for Camserney Farm and the right hand one the foreman joiner’s house. The pictures show the houses in the 1940’s, 1960’s and now. The building at the east end was the estate joiners shop.

Cruck Cottage

Many of the original houses would be of the ‘cruck’ construction, i.e. the main supports consist of oak crucks or trunks, which support the roof. The roof would consist of counter tie beams and branch rafters, laid with heather turf, and thatched with a rye straw.  One of these houses sits opposite Crachan Cottages.

Camserney Burn Ford

To cross the burn at the start of the cart track to Dull can be done by way of the ford or use the new bridge