Inside Cabinet 1 - Aberfeldy Community Library
After Haldane Reforms of 1908 the 6th Perthshire Black Watch was formed. Captain John Wylie came up from Perth to form H Aberfeldy Company of the Battalion. He remained in command of the Company up to late 1914. The Battalion had annual camps in the years up to and including 1914.
Pictures of these camps on display in cabinet.
On mobilisation in 1914, just after the annual camp at Monzie , the Battalion assembled at North Queensferry to construct the Forth Defences. In November 1914 the Battalion moved to the Tay to carry out similar work.
In early 1915 the companies were reorganised with G and H companies becoming first 1 then A Company with Major John Wylie still in command. In April 1915 the Battalion moved to Bedford to join the 51st Highland Division for service in France. Prior to leaving many soldiers had pictures taken of themselves which you can see here.
In May 1915 the Battalion moved to France where it was to fight until the end of the War.