History of the 4th (Perthshire) Volunteer Battalion
In 1859 and 1860 eighteen separate companies of Volunteers were raised in Perthshire, but were shortly afterwards formed into two Administrative Battalions. Of these companies, those belonging to Perth, Dunblane, Coupar angus, Crieff, Alyth, Doune, Callander, Birnam and Auchterardern were formed in 1869 into the First Perthshire Administrative Battalion. The Battalion Headquarters were established at Perth.
Under the Territorial system of 1881 the Battalion was affiliated to the Country Regiment, and in 188 received the designation of the 4th (Perthshire) Volunteer Battalion (The Black Watch) Royal Highlanders.
Much of the success of the Battalion had been due to the energy and fine spirit of Sir Robert Moncrieffe, who joined in 1884 and commanded it from 1893 to 1911. Even this long period did not end his connection with the Regiment, for, on the outbreak of war, Sir Robert rejoined and commanded the Battalion in France.
During the South African War three more companies were raised in Perth, and about fifty men joined the three Volunteer Service companies who fought with the 2nd Battalion of the Regiment in South Africa.
Under the new Territorial organization in 1908, the 4th Volunteer Battalion became the 6th (Perthshire) Battalion the Black Watch, with its recruiting area over the whole country of Perth. At this time Captain John Wylie came up from Perth to form H Aberfeldy Company of the Battalion. It was under this title that the lineal descendants of the Volunteer companies of 1859 fought as a unit of The Black Watch throughout the Great War.